Home Forums Downloads VR-Plugin 6.0 Beta 1

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Welcome to our new Virtual Reality Forum.
      Please enjoy our community of VR enthusiasts and professionals.

We are proud to present you the latest VR-Plugin Beta.

Our goal is to optimize the software further to suit for all the different scenarios and workflows that Maya offers.
      Everybody is happily invited to help us to optimize the user experience.

Virtual Reality is a great extension for lots of cases and modeling in Maya now feels like sculpting with digital clay.

Enjoy the Beta and make wonderful use of the plugin.
      Great if you share your experience and creative results with us.

Visit our download area

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Useruser.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Moritz StrickhausenMoritz.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Useruser.
    • Moritz StrickhausenMoritz
      Participant

This is our basic button layout right now…

For Oculus Rift:

Right Trigger – Left Mouse
      Right Thumbstick – Middle Mouse + B Key
      Left Trigger – Enter
      Left Thumbstick Press or X – Shift
      Left Thumbstick Rotate – Menu rotate
      Left + Right Grip – Move and scale scene
      Left Y – Ctrl

For HTC Vive:

Right Trigger – Left Mouse
      Right Thumbpad Press – Middle Mouse + B Key
      Left Trigger – Enter
      Left Thumbpad Press – Shift
      Left Thumbpad Rotate – Menu rotate
      Left + Right Grip – Move and scale scene
      Left Burger – Ctrl

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Moritz StrickhausenMoritz.
      Participant
    • Dominik CapodieciDominik
      Participant

Move the injection viewport window:

Once you use the hand controllers an injection viewport appears.
      When the mouse is moved the window will disappear.
      If you want to relocate the injection viewport hold the middle mouse button (wheel) and move the window with the mouse.
      To reset the injection viewport window position, press the left mouse button.
      This can be useful to position the window on another screen.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Dominik CapodieciDominik.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Useruser.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Moritz StrickhausenMoritz.
    • Cory Strassburgercory strassburger
      Participant

The beta is working quite well and has been super useful for me blocking out a new level in our game.

A couple ideas:
      It would be nice if the injection camera near/far clipping settings would be inherited by the main VR camera. My scene is fairly large so i have to adjust the VR camera clipping values every time I hit play.

The show flags don’t seem to work initially. I have to hit play and then toggle (lights for example) on and then off again for it to effect the VR viewport.

It would be great to have a booleon that auto paused/unpaused the main desktop viewport when going in and out of play mode. Currently I have to manually set it to pause every time I go into VR, then un-pause when i come out.

Scaling the world is really great and intuitive. However moving objects is a bit tricky when trying to select the axis. Im using touch controllers and they don’t seem very calibrated to where I’m pointing. For example, when trying to highlight the Y axis on the move manipulator i have to point off to the left from the manipulator for it to highlight.

Also might be nice to hold a modifier button (on the hand controller) and use the joystick to select the axis (push up for Y, left for X, etc..)

So far those are my biggest observations. Of course, having the hand controller buttons mappable to different functions or tools (translate, rotate, etc…) would be very helpful. Also a button to reset scale to a known value would be great… maybe reset to the injection camera settings or have a seperate “default” injection camera positioned and scaled to a particular place that you can reset to?

Participant

Hello Cory, thank you for your feedback!

To your ideas…

-What would be your suggestion for a camera far clip? We could provide settings in the UI. In the meantime you could change the VRpluginModel.py to create the cameras exactly as needed as a first workaround. It is hard to find a general solution for the near clipping, since this distance dramatically changes when scaling the scene via hand controller.

-We have to initialize the view flags the first time the play button is pressed from the current state. Consider this a bug.

-We think a specialized viewport that auto-pauses is a great idea for preserving HMD performance while granting fast access to the regular viewport when not wearing the HMD

-We have oculus-touch controllers also and they are well calibrated here. However, there are two things that can cause alignment errors. First is default DPI scaling in Windows on 4K Displays. Please right-click your Desktop, select “Display settings” and assure “Change the siye of text, apps, and other items” is set to 100%. We will adjust DPI scaling offset in future releases.
      The other problem could be an eye preference problem. You need to grab the manipulator in space to have the stereo offset zero-aligned with depth. If you try to click behind or in front of the manipulator, the stereo-center is were the click is injected. Since all humans have one preferred eye for aiming, it feels like an offset then.
      Try grabbing the manipulator in correct depth should work for both eyes, if no DPI scaling is set. For future releases we are planning to set eye preference, and some even more sophisticated 1:1 manipulation related to the current mode.

-Nice idea to hold joystick axes to lock directions for the free-hand 1:1 manipulator modes. We already tried something like that. We are still looking for an intuitive layout. However, our final layout will be configurable anyway. We will provide more documentation about button mapping once this has matured a bit.

Participant

Thanks for the response Moritz. Not sure either a good default for far clipping since as you know, scenes can be very different. I didn’t run into any clipping issues with scaling up and down the world but I can imagine that happening. Maybe a bool for auto clipping based on scale? For me it would be enough to have the VR camera inherit what ever the injection camera is set too. In the meantime, editing the .py file would work for me. It seems my beta expired, are you guys going to post a new one?

Double checked my Display settings were 100% so I’ll have to play around some more to see if I can figure out the calibration.

Looking forward to using this more often. Do you guys have a timeline for official release?

Participant

Hello Cory,

far-clipping is indeed inherited by the VR-camera created. Only near-clipping is adjusted in relation to the current scaling. If the scaling in 1000x, a near clip of 1cm would otherwise become effective 10 meters visually, being probably much further away than desired. So in this case we scale near-clip to 1/1000th, having it remain at virtually 1cm in proportion to the current scaling. We will start new Betas from time to time without any fixed schedule and add some of the features to our stable release branch.

Participant

Thanks Moritz, that makes sense for the near clipping plane and during my tests I ran into no near clipping issues so that setting seems to work well. For the far clipping, I was meaning that it would be good if when the VR camera is auto created, it inherits the far clipping value thats set in the injection camera (The camera thats already in the maya scene.) My problem was I had to change the far clipping value in the created VR camera every time I hit play because it would always revert to the default.

Participant

Also, for the stable release version… I originally bought the plugin back when it was moculus but I have a feeling I need an upgrade or a new license?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.